Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Insane Driving Update

I've been making a concerted effort to drive less aggressively of late.  Much as I enjoy darting through traffic at 80 MPH, it usually generates enough angst and tension to affect not just my commute but the rest of my day.  Besides, remembering to chill out and relax is generally a good thing in my case.

That doesn't mean I can't appreciate a quality piece of crazy driving when I see it.

This morning, someone on Colesville Road (north of Silver Spring's world-renowned Arts & Entertainment District) tried to make an illegal left onto Dale Drive, jamming up traffic in the left-hand lane a bit.  The car immediately behind the illegal turned, a tan Camry, jerked into the center lane, nearly ramming into a little Honda Insight (an early hybrid model).

Having watched this situation develop from a few cars back, it was obvious that the Camry was entirely at fault, having pulled an obnoxious and dangerous move on the Insight.

Now, if it were me driving that Insight, my gut reaction would be to exact revenge by speeding up, passing the Camry, and darting straight in front of it kamikaze-style as the Camry had just done.  As Dwight Schrute would say, tit for tit.  Then I would have pulled up excruciatingly slowly to the next light. in order to remind the Camry that he's my bitch, not the other way around, and eventually gone on my merry way.  That's what I would have done.

So imagine my satisfaction when the Insight driver does exactly what I would have done.  Awesome!!!  Justice was served, and I didn't even have to pull a nutty myself!  I got to live vicariously through some other nutbag who flipped out.  (The cake, which I both had and ate, was delicious.)  Just a great way to start off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment